Re: Secondary review of a Java package

On 21:25 Tue 10 Aug     , Göran Uddeborg wrote:
> Dr Andrew John Hughes:
> > Warnings or errors?  gcj uses ecj under the hood, which is more
> > verbose by default
>
> Warnings.  Indeed, mostly about generics, and some odd unused
> variables.  If it is safe to ignore them, I could do that.
>
> I don't loose anything else in using the GCJ rather than OpenJDK
> compiler?  Does the quality of the code produced differ in any
> relevant way, or so?

Not to my knowledge.  Java compilers don't tend to optimise, and it's
not really gcj that's compiling at all when you do source->bytecode,
it's ecj (the Eclipse compiler) invoked by gcj i.e. if the quality is
worse, then so is all code compiled by Eclipse ;-)

The GCJ compilation bit comes in when you do bytecode to native
compilation, which, as I recall, you do afterwards anyway.

> --

Andrew :)

Free Java Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc. (http://www.redhat.com)

Support Free Java!
http://www.gnu.org/software/classpath
http://openjdk.java.net
PGP Key: 94EFD9D8 (http://subkeys.pgp.net)
Fingerprint = F8EF F1EA 401E 2E60 15FA  7927 142C 2591 94EF D9D8