Re: What makes Fedora desirable in clouds?

> While mowing the yard last weekend, something came to mind about Fedora on clouds. We
> spend a lot of time thinking about getting Fedora onto more clouds and making it more
> interoperable with cloud APIs. Increasing Fedora's usage by making it available in
> more clouds seems like a worthwhile goal.

This is a great path for your thoughts and I am so grateful that you _do_ think in this direction when you are really relaxed into a routine.

> However, I wonder why people choose to use Fedora versus an alternative when they deploy
> in public clouds. These questions came to mind:
>
> * Is there something lacking in the Fedora experience?
> * Is Fedora more difficult to use or does it have limitations that frustrate users?
> * Are we missing docs and blog posts that help users deploy their favorite applications on
> Fedora?
>
> I'll admit that I bounce between regular Fedora and Fedora CoreOS in my own
> deployments. A lot of that depends on what I plan to run there. If I'm running
> containerized applications, CoreOS gets me up and running quickly. If I need to do some
> development or run something a bit more complex, I usually reach for Fedora Cloud.

I think that's great. They are both incredibly beneficial, but one doesn't answer all of my problems. Like you, I feel incredibly comfortable using both FCOS and Fedora Cloud Editions.

> I would love to hear thoughts from others on this topic about how we can improve the
> end-user experience for Fedora in public clouds of all sizes.

There are a lot of variations in workloads, but one of the things that I run into for user workloads is an ability to predict how they are going to use the tools they have been using previously in the context of their old process and still deliver big engineering goals.

One of the things that makes me excited is building supported models for specific tasks. It's how I built out support for configurations including Nice-DCV on AWS which ultimately became the proof of concept that cemented process for Amazon EC2 Accelerated Instances on RHEL Workstation. CoreOS wasn't going to make it through the commercial partner application security team review for the organization that I needed for a hand off to the engineering team. It was the shortest path to complete the concept work and helps me to build out the next generation support efforts.

Another thing that I enjoy working with the cloud images for is the consistency with the Workstation experience from the perspective of the filesystem. Bringing btrfs onto the cloud image could not happen without strong community control, but it delivers a lot of flexibility in the configurations and a significantly different experience to the image in terms of experimental configurations. It allows me to build, store, and restore in ways that I could not do with a single experimental instance before. That is super helpful building out new solutions too.

Also, adding packages into the cloud-sig, so that we are working on an ecosystem for the support model excites me. I don't care if they are beneficial for only CoreOS or everywhere. I like the idea that we are building towares a shared core of utilities that supports management of cloud resources and related configurations. Being able to support the ecosystem is most important for me as a member of the team.

I think that everyone should be focused on application modernization, but not every problem is going to call for a new solution. When I reach for the tool to get what I want, I stick to the old adage I learned from my mentor Wayne Walker a long time ago, which is this: "The right tool for the job is the tool that gets the job done while I still have a job!" Sometimes, that's means I pull from what I know will work and that can be different in different situations or it can be, like I mentioned above, to satisfy external requirements that are not in my control while I still handle the task at hand.