Re: [Xen-devel] Criteria / validation proposal: drop Xen

> On Mon, 2019-07-29 at 14:58 -0400, Ben Cotton wrote:
> > On Tue, Jul 23, 2019 at 7:16 PM Adam Williamson
> > <adamwill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > OK, so, to move forward with this (and looping in cloud list): does
> > > someone want to propose a set (ideally small - 2 would be great, one
> > > Xen and one non-Xen, if we can cover most common usages that way!) of
> > > EC2 instance types we should test on? With that, we could tweak the
> > > criteria a bit to specify those instance types, tweak the Cloud
> > > validation page a bit, and then drop the Xen criterion and test case.
> > >

> > I'd suggest c5.large (KVM, afaict) and t3.large (Xen).
> >
> > My AWS experience is probably not representative (being mostly in the
> > HPC space), but these seem like they'd hit the two use cases I'd
> > expect to see for Fedora (compute and small servers). I would expect
> > more people would use M rather than C for Fedora, but this gets us a
> > KVM-based instance.
> >
> > Happy to hear why I'm wrong. :-)
>
> So, let's pick this up again.
>
> Here's my latest proposal for the criteria wording:
>
> "Release-blocking cloud disk images must be published to Amazon EC2 as
> AMIs, and these must boot successfully and meet other relevant release
> criteria on at least one KVM-based x86 instance type and at least one
> Xen-based x86 instance type."
>
> I also propose we tweak the Cloud matrix:
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Template:Cloud_test_matrix
>
> and replace the single "EC2" column with separate "EC2 (KVM)" and "EC2
> (Xen)" columns. We would update the ec2 instructions on that page to
> include Matt Wilson's list of KVM and Xen instance types, and provide
> info on how to actually find the right AMIs (the page it currently
> links doesn't do that).
>
> How does that sound to everyone?

OK, as there were no objections to this, I've gone ahead and done it:

https://fedoraproject.org/w/index.php?title=Fedora_32_Final_Release_Criteria&diff=557560&oldid=557559

I also updated the validation matrix and instructions as discussed:

https://fedoraproject.org/w/index.php?title=Template:Cloud_test_matrix&diff=557562&oldid=537484
https://fedoraproject.org/w/index.php?title=Template%3ACloud_Setup&type=revision&diff=557566&oldid=534525

and marked the Xen test as Optional on the installation matrix. Please
let me know if anyone sees any issues here. Thanks!
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey