Re: [Xen-devel] Criteria / validation proposal: drop Xen

On Mon, 2019-07-29 at 14:58 -0400, Ben Cotton wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 23, 2019 at 7:16 PM Adam Williamson
> <adamwill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > OK, so, to move forward with this (and looping in cloud list): does
> > someone want to propose a set (ideally small - 2 would be great, one
> > Xen and one non-Xen, if we can cover most common usages that way!) of
> > EC2 instance types we should test on? With that, we could tweak the
> > criteria a bit to specify those instance types, tweak the Cloud
> > validation page a bit, and then drop the Xen criterion and test case.
> >

> I'd suggest c5.large (KVM, afaict) and t3.large (Xen).
>
> My AWS experience is probably not representative (being mostly in the
> HPC space), but these seem like they'd hit the two use cases I'd
> expect to see for Fedora (compute and small servers). I would expect
> more people would use M rather than C for Fedora, but this gets us a
> KVM-based instance.
>
> Happy to hear why I'm wrong. :-)

So, let's pick this up again.

Here's my latest proposal for the criteria wording:

"Release-blocking cloud disk images must be published to Amazon EC2 as
AMIs, and these must boot successfully and meet other relevant release
criteria on at least one KVM-based x86 instance type and at least one
Xen-based x86 instance type."

I also propose we tweak the Cloud matrix:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Template:Cloud_test_matrix

and replace the single "EC2" column with separate "EC2 (KVM)" and "EC2
(Xen)" columns. We would update the ec2 instructions on that page to
include Matt Wilson's list of KVM and Xen instance types, and provide
info on how to actually find the right AMIs (the page it currently
links doesn't do that).

How does that sound to everyone?
--
Adam Williamson