Re: [Xen-devel] Criteria / validation proposal: drop Xen

> > > I don't know where you got that particular piece of information. It
> > > isn't correct. Most EC2 instance types still use Xen. The vast majority
> > > of EC2 instances, by volume, are Xen.
> >
> > Correct, it's only specific types of new hypervisors that use kvm
> > based, plus new HW like aarch64.
> >
> > That being said I don't believe testing we can boot on xen is actually
> > useful these days for the AWS use case, it's likely different enough
> > that the testing isn't useful, we'd be much better testing that cloud
> > images actually work on AWS than testing if it boots on xen.
>
> Yeah, that's where I was going to go next (there has already been a
> thread about this this morning). If what we care about is that Fedora
> boots on EC2, that's what we should have in the criteria, and what we
> should test.
>
> IIRC, what we have right now is a somewhat vague setup where we just
> have 'local', 'ec2' and 'openstack' columns. The instructions for
> "Amazon Web Services" just say "Launch an instance with the AMI under
> test". So we could probably stand to tighten that up a bit, and define
> specific instance type(s) that we want to test/block on.

OK, so, to move forward with this (and looping in cloud list): does
someone want to propose a set (ideally small - 2 would be great, one
Xen and one non-Xen, if we can cover most common usages that way!) of
EC2 instance types we should test on? With that, we could tweak the
criteria a bit to specify those instance types, tweak the Cloud
validation page a bit, and then drop the Xen criterion and test case.

Thanks everyone!
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey