Re: Atomic openQA result emails ('compose check report')

On 03/17/2017 06:23 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:
> Hi folks!
>
> So Colin and I had a bit of a chat about openQA Atomic testing
> 'integration', and one of the things that came up was the state of the
> 'compose check report' emails for Atomic tests.
>
> If you're signed up to test@ or devel@ you may have noticed that a
> 'compose check report' mail is sent out for every mainline Fedora
> compose openQA tests, with info on the numbers of passed and failed
> tests and some other stuff.
>
> When we set up openQA to test the Atomic Host OStree installer image
> and to test the nightly 'two-week Atomic' composes, I asked whether we
> should generate those mails, and who they should go to.
>
> The answer I got - and the way it's configured right now - was that
> people only wanted the mails produced when a test *failed*, and they
> should be mailed to this list plus to one person directly (I think at
> first it was Adam Miller, it now seems to be Mike McGrath).
>
> I've just verified that this is actually working: when openQA tests the
>  'two-week Atomic' composes and a failure occurs, the mail does get
> sent. However, there hasn't been a failure of the test since - AFAICS -
> 2016-10-01. So that's why no such mails have been sent out recently. I
> got Mike to check, and he actually did get a mail on 20167-10-01, when
> the test last failed.

woot for passing tests! Adam, do you know if there is any way to send
a weekly report that basically states how many tests ran and how many
passed? That would at least let us know that they were there and still
running and passing.

I imagine now that the tests results are in resultsdb the answer is
going to be something related to that.

> I think the mails that have been sent to cloud@ were never approved
> through moderation, so they never actually appeared here. It'd be good
> if a list moderator could check if they see a few 'compose check' mails
> hung up in moderation, or something.

I found this thread from a long time ago on this topic:
https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/cloud@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/thread/OUSTJ7WHDCO5WEP7J57B6H5GYWAAF4EM/#OUSTJ7WHDCO5WEP7J57B6H5GYWAAF4EM

Looks like someone tried to add that mail address to the list but
doesn't seem to be working. These emails are not in the held messages
from what I can tell. I think I am a moderator and not an
administrator.

https://wiki.list.org/DOC/Difference%20Between%20a%20Moderator%20and%20Administrator

I need to get jzb to make me an admin so I can investigate.

> So, I just wanted to give a quick heads-up on that, and say that if
> anyone would like that configuration changed, I can do it easily
> enough. We could have a report generated for every compose as for the
> 'main' composes, but it'd be quite dull I think, because there's only
> one test and it almost always passes. We can also change the list of
> addresses that receive the mails when they're sent, if it should be
> changed.

Indeed. Thanks.

I think the real answer in the long run is to have dashboards that
display test results in a nice way (i'm talking flashy gui web page
stuff). We could have one dashboard that highlighted failures in
atomic host across different composes and then a dashboard that
highlighted failures/passes in a particular or for a particular
ostree. I'm not asking *YOU* for this, but I think that is the answer
long term. The emails would then have a link to the test results as
well as the dashboard where you can see all test results.

> Also do let me know if running more tests on the Atomic installer image
> would be desirable. For now we just run a single test - a straight-
> through install test on x86_64 BIOS - since that's all I was asked for
> initially. We could run the same test on UEFI, if desired, and we could
> run some of the post-install tests that are run on other images, and we
> could run some of the install variant tests; I just don't know which
> ones are relevant / useful for the Atomic installer image.

Yes! we would love a UEFI test and I think it would actually be good
to run the atomic-host-tests against these images assuming openQA is
the right tool for that job. I thought openQA was more for interactive
install testing, so please let me know where I'm wrong. roshi knows
openQA and atomic-host-tests so he might be able to comment here.

Thanks Adam,
Dusty