Re: Meeting with Openstack magnum team today

> - pre-loading containers on system startup
>     * there is a need for being able to load containers on system
>       startup into the container runtime. I think jlebon already
>       worked on something like this maybe. Either way the idea is that
>       we have a service that looks in a certain directory in the
>       filesystem for container images and loads them into the runtime
>       on startup and then deletes those images (or not depending on
>       configuration). One could start a cloud image and mount a volume
>       that these images are already loaded into. One could crack open
>       the qcow and cp the files in, etc. Doesn't matter how they get
>       to the "pre-defined" location, we'll import them.

Yup, that's:
https://github.com/jlebon/atomic-preload

You can also configure the containers to be started once
they're loaded.

It's a rough design, but it does work. The workflow there
was more centered around injecting from a kickstart, though
yeah, it should work with any other injection method.

Though the type of containers you'd want to preload (e.g
daemons, network/cloud agents) would be better fit for
system containers, which last I tried works if you just
install as usual in the %post.

You'd still need something like atomic-preload though for
regular docker containers. There might be a use case for
system containers as well if dynamic configuration is needed
via e.g. cloud-init.