[atomic-wg] Issue #231 `clarify meaning of "rolling" for future fedora atomic releases`

jasonbrooks reported a new issue against the project: `atomic-wg` that you are following:
``
The Atomic WG has unofficially paid attention to only a single fedora atomic release at a time, specifically, the release based on the current latest stable Fedora release. There's a proposal to formalize this in [issue 228](https://pagure.io/atomic-wg/issue/228).

In the discussion around this issue, @jberkus asked why, if we are to support only a single fedora atomic release at a time, do we not adopt a "rolling" release structure for fedora atomic, where the tree served from the fedora atomic ostree repo is always composed from the current latest stable Fedora release.

In response, @dustymabe suggested that "rolling" could mean many different things, and that we should discuss these many meanings in a future VFAD.

In this issue, we can collect some thoughts on what "rolling" means in advance of this VFAD.

To me, a rolling fedora would match up with what rhel and centos atomic do. There's a single repo, and an upgrade from rhel atomic 7.1 to 7.2 to 7.3, etc. simply involves runnning `atomic host upgrade`. The same would apply to fedora for 25 to 26 to 27, etc.

Currently, fedora users are expected to rebase each six months, in the same way that they might rebase between completely separate streams, such as from fedora atomic to centos atomic.

So, upgrades, today:

```
$ sudo ostree remote delete fedora-atomic
$ sudo ostree remote add fedora-atomic --set=gpg-verify=false $ https://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/atomic/25
$ sudo rpm-ostree rebase fedora-atomic:fedora-atomic/25/x86_64/docker-host
$ sudo systemctl reboot
```

Upgrades, in a "rolling" world:

```
$ sudo atomic host upgrade
$ sudo systemctl reboot
```

This would have zero impact on the current two-week release scheme. Just as we tried to release fedora atomic 24 every two weeks up until fedora 25 release day, when we shifted to trying to release fedora atomic 25 every two weeks, and stopped paying attention to the 24 stream, we would, at some future point, be releasing fedora atomic every two weeks based on f2N rpms, switch over to the f2N+1 rpms on or near release day, and proceed from there.

The only difference is convenience and clarity for our users.

Before Dusty cited the many meanings of "rolling" I hadn't even considered additional meanings, but maybe we can list some of those here in preparation for the VFAD.
``

To reply, visit the link below or just reply to this email
https://pagure.io/atomic-wg/issue/231