Re: owncloud container in fedora container registry

On 8 February 2017 at 22:16, Josh Berkus <jberkus@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> This seems entirely likely, but it seems very unlikely that anyone
>> upstream (at either OC or NC) gives a damn about making it work on PHP
>> 5.4.
>>

> Mind you, this does raise the issue of "how do we allow support for
> latest versions of languages in contianers", which we're going to need
> to deal with.  However, probably not in this particular contianer review.

So we had a productive chat on IRC and for others to follow (I'll
quote previous emails as best I can so please bear with me, it's late
and nextcloud.spec is hurting my brain) ...

On 8 February 2017 at 22:04, Mats Wichmann <mats@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Given both the complexity of the environment (requiring unsupported PHP
> versions) and the unrest caused by the owncloud/nextcloud fork, is this
> really something that should be pushed through at this time?

I'm working on nextcloud packaging at the moment and intend to
maintain both owncloud and nextcloud in Fedora until one or the other
project eventually folds.

The exact same work in developing guidelines and how we handle builds
and so on are involved for both owncloud and nextcloud ... and the
eventual result of this review will serve as the basis for an almost
identical nextcloud one a little way down the line.

WIth regards to PHP versions - don't pay any attention to them. It's
irrelevant to this review and this particular discussion as Fedora
only ships on PHP version and we maintainers (primarily myself but
Remi is a fantastic help) ensure that it's supported and stuff works -
eg backporting fixes for PHP7.1 since that will be coming in Fedora 26
and owncloud only intend to support that as of owncloud 10.

The version of owncloud and PHP in the container are what we ship in
Fedora and what we support in Fedora.

On Wed, 2017-02-08 at 14:10 -0800, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Really, our best hope is that NextCloud cleans up the Owncloud
> architecture to make it supportable.

We already support in Fedora :)

You may not be aware but in December 2015 (I think? time flies ...) we
did a huge amount of clear up of the spec, added the PHP Fedora
autoloader stuff to make picking up the right dependencies much
clearer and fully unbundled all PHP libraries as part of that. We also
have testing in the spec file to ensure the autoloader.php can load
all the required libraries etc.

Most of the same names that were involved in owncloud are involved in
nextcloud, I'm not expecting any changes in terms of how they support
distributions packaging their application.

> This seems entirely likely, but it seems very unlikely that anyone
> upstream (at either OC or NC) gives a damn about making it work on PHP
> 5.4.

They don't - both are dropping PHP5.4 support, which is irrelevant to
Fedora but does affect EPEL7, which is one of the reasons I want to
get a Fedora based container going... outside of the general use of
it.

As of owncloud 10 (9.2 got bumped to 10 for the next release) php5.4
won't be supported.
As of nextcloud 12 then php5.4 won't be supported.

But, again, this is irrelevant to Fedora and we will always support,
backporting if required, our owncloud and nexcloud packages In Fedora
on whatever PHP version that release ships.

Hope that clears up a few things there and I hope we can work on
whatever updates to guidelines, processes or similar are required to
get something we can all be happy with in this SIG and the PHP group
as well.