Re: Putting Networkd on cloud Atomic and base image for F24

On 14/12/15, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 14, 2015 at 12:31:45PM -0800, Adam Williamson wrote:
> > The situation is not at all the same; there is no clear expectation
> > that networkd will replace NetworkManager, indeed AFAIK it's been
> > explicitly stated that it won't, because it's not desirable for it to
> > cover all the complex configurations NM supports.
>
> One development (mostly) since we started talking about this is that NM
> is now much more modular, and has a "configure and go away" mode (the
> lack of which was the main reason for not using it in the cloud image
> in the first place). It also can use the same lightweight DHCP library
> that systemd does, which in either case is an advantage over ye olde
> memory-hungry reference implementation as used by the initscripts
> networking.
>
> I'm not saying it's the automatic winner over systemd-networkd, but all
> that should be taken into consideration.
Correct, still configuring networkd seems to be easier in my eyes. I
also forget to mention that CoreOS is using networkd from 2014. Major
also mentioned in the meeting that systemd-networkd's resource
requirements are a little lower than NM last time he checked. He is also
using networkd on bare metal servers.

Kushal
--
Fedora Cloud Engineer