Re: Putting Networkd on cloud Atomic and base image for F24

On Mon, 2015-12-14 at 23:30 +0530, Kushal Das wrote:
> Major Hayden did some excellent write up [3] [4] [5] about Networkd
> in Fedora [6].
>
> "Features", and "First" are part of our four foundations. I
> personally think putting Networkd on our cloud images will certainly
> help us to grow the features where latest technology is involved.

Hey folks,

Kushal asked me to chime in on the thread after I talked about systemd-
networkd in the Cloud WG meeting today.

So far, I'm actively running systemd-networkd on 10-15 bare metal nodes
at any one time.  Some of those have bonded interfaces, GRE tunnels,
OpenVPN tunnels, Linux bridges, MACVLAN interfaces, and VLANs.  I have
another 15-20 virtual machines all running systemd-networkd along with
a few systemd-nspawn-based containers.  It's really helpful in
containers since it has very low resource requirements.

I've had plenty of success even with flapping interfaces (once a bad
cable and once a broken ASIC in a switch).  Reconfiguring interfaces
seems to work well and restarting systemd-networkd only reconfigures
the interfaces that had changes.

The systemd-networkd logging to the system journal is quite helpful in
its default setting and it can be flipped into debug mode so that you
can diagnose other network problems.  It has some extra features (like
configuring ip_forward sysctl values) that can be handy.  The
networkctl utility is also nice to get a quick overview of what's going
on with your network interfaces.

I'm just one person doing this testing, so take that with a grain of
salt. ;)

--
Major Hayden