Re: openQA nightly testing of Cloud Atomic installer image

On Mon, 2015-12-07 at 19:00 -0800, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Mon, 2015-12-07 at 21:15 -0500, Colin Walters wrote:
> > On Mon, Dec 7, 2015, at 08:39 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:
> > > Hi folks! For those who aren't aware, Fedora openQA is set up to test
> > > the Atomic installer image nightly - that's the image that uses
> > > anaconda to deploy a fixed Atomic host payload. For each day's Rawhide,
> > > Branched and post-release stable composes, if an Atomic installer image
> > > is present, openQA will test it.
> >
> > Thanks for working on this!
> >
> > Where is the source code for the tests?
>
> https://bitbucket.org/rajcze/openqa_fedora
>
> openQA is kind of its own animal - yell if you need any help working
> out how it works.

To expand on this a bit - there isn't exactly a 'cloud installer image
test'. The test repo has a bunch of test steps, and there's a sort of
front controller - main.pm - which causes each test run to actually
load some combination of those test steps depending on the settings for
that test. The settings for a test are kind of a combination of that
test's own innate settings, the settings for the 'machine' it's running
on, and possibly settings deriving from the image being tested; all of
this stuff is defined in the 'templates' file.

You can see some of this stuff in the web UI. If you look at today's
test - https://openqa.fedoraproject.org/tests/461 - you can click
'Settings', and see the settings for that test - ARCH, BACKEND, BUILD,
CANNED etc. Then you can go to main.pm and see that it will actually
send the test process down particular paths depending on some of those
settings. For instance, at line 122 there's a fork depending on whether
'KICKSTART' is set - for this test it isn't, so we go down one
particular fork there.

You can see in the web UI the actual individual test steps that were
scheduled - _boot_to_anaconda , _software_selection , disk_guided_empty
, etc. Those are files in the tests/ subdirectory. The behaviour within
test steps themselves can also depend on the test settings.

The actual 'test' being run on the image is called 'default_install' ,
and you can see in the 'templates' file the particular settings that
are set for that test:

https://bitbucket.org/rajcze/openqa_fedora/src/35c42da79bbd68644933dd0ca1cc3f36009c2b3e/templates?at=develop&fileviewer=file-view-default#templates-810

since it's pretty much our 'default' test path, only one variable gets
set (PACKAGE_SET). You can see further down in 'templates' that the
other test definitions set more variables, and in main.pm (and
sometimes in the individual test files) you can follow what changes
those settings cause...
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey