Re: openQA nightly testing of Cloud Atomic installer image

On Mon, 2015-12-07 at 21:15 -0500, Colin Walters wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 7, 2015, at 08:39 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:
> > Hi folks! For those who aren't aware, Fedora openQA is set up to test
> > the Atomic installer image nightly - that's the image that uses
> > anaconda to deploy a fixed Atomic host payload. For each day's Rawhide,
> > Branched and post-release stable composes, if an Atomic installer image
> > is present, openQA will test it.
>
> Thanks for working on this!
>
> Where is the source code for the tests?

https://bitbucket.org/rajcze/openqa_fedora

openQA is kind of its own animal - yell if you need any help working
out how it works.

> I'm also interested in figuring out how this intersects with the Anaconda
> upstream tests over time, as those cover things like kickstart automation.

There isn't really much of an intersection as things stand - they're
just different processes. I'm fairly comfortable viewing the anaconda
project's own tests as project-level CI-style test automation, while
our use of openQA is much more at the distribution level and more about
validating distribution composes as entire artefacts in themselves.

The most interesting property of openQA per se is that it's a rather
different style of automation to things like kickstart testing: openQA
basically runs a VM and then interacts with it exactly like an
extremely bored human QA intern would, it expects certain things to
show up on the screen then it types stuff and clicks - it uses some
qemu features for interacting with the VM, but so far as the OS is
concerned, it's almost entirely indistinguishable from a human being
sitting there whacking a keyboard. So it can test things that don't
really show up in more abstract forms of automated testing (but
equally, it's not very good at testing some other things).
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey