Re: Fedora @ Google Cloud

On Tue, Jun 24, 2014 at 8:33 AM, Filipe Brandenburger
<filbranden@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 24, 2014 at 6:27 AM, Renich Bon Ciric
> <renich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> The reason they enable sudo and lock root is to keep better auditing
>> options. But, hey, it's not like you're gonna create 20 keys in a
>> single server for 20 admins to go in and do stuff.
>
> Huh, it kind of is... If you create a project and add many users to
> it, all of them will get accounts created by google-compute-daemon, so
> in effect every user of the project will be able to login to every
> compute instance. I currently work on a project with 5 users and all
> of us can log in to all instances. If someone else comes along to the
> project, we just add them and they get access to all instances
> automatically.

My only problem with that is that it will create passwordless sudo for
all of them. I don't think you want 20 admins in a 20 user server. My
point is that, usually, one is admin and he delegates (through sudo,
perms and gorups, ACL, SELinux, etc).

>> I can live with SSH keys injected to root. A root with it's SSH
>> allowing login without-password only. This would be convenient and no
>> passwords involved.
>
> I see value in keeping home directories for each user... For instance,
> that means I don't *have* to be root all the time and I don't run the
> risk of typing a mistaken command and hosing the box... It also means
> I can customize my home with a .bashrc, .vimrc, .gitconfig without
> worrying about my colleagues logging in to that box and being annoyed
> by my settings taking over.

Oh, I agree with you! No need to be root all the time. I'd create
mortal user account as well; use root only for admin stuff. But, in
the current design, every account you create is root; If they use
sudo.

That's not so cool...

Also, if you're root, you can have ~/.vimrc and ~/.gitconfig without
them poluting your users' environment. ;)

--
It's hard to be free... but I love to struggle. Love isn't asked for;
it's just given. Respect isn't asked for; it's earned!

http://www.woralelandia.com/
http://www.introbella.com/