Re: Fedora @ Google Cloud

On 2014-06-18 16:46, Filipe Brandenburger wrote:
On Wed, Jun 18, 2014 at 3:52 PM, Renich Bon Ciric
<renich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, Jun 18, 2014 at 3:49 PM, Dennis Gilmore <dennis@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
The issue is we are trying to build one image to run in all clouds, so
cloud provider specific tools are out. extend the functionality of
cloud-init if you feel its useful. Ideally its something that can work
in all providers.

Oh, a single image for all. That will be a hard one.

Agreed, that would be really hard to accomplish on a first moment.

Can we try to target a GCE-specific Fedora image to start and look at
convergence on a second stage? At the very least, that would allow us
to figure out what works and what doesn't... Also, it would help
figure out what extensions we'll need in cloud-init to make it do the
same things.

I believe cloud-init treats "user-data" attributes the same way it treats user-data in EC2, so if that works then that would give us a fairly painless way to install or configure whatever is holding testing back. Perhaps that would be a suitable next step to try for.

Since it runs at boot time and goes away cloud-init could be made to replace the startup scripts if it isn't already sufficient. I doubt it can replace the daemons in a reasonable manner without a decent amount of work, though -- the way GCE expects instances to work with metadata is somewhat unusual, and cloud-init simply isn't built to handle that (yet). Assuming there is enough interest, though, I might be interested in working on something relatively portable that can do things like mounting disks based on metadata since that would be useful to me on EC2 as well. With any luck that sort of thing could potentially even go on the stock Fedora image, too.

--
Garrett Holmstrom