Re: removing NetworkManager from cloud image?

On Thu, 11 Oct 2012, Robyn Bergeron wrote:

And not to distract from that the above information or train of
thought in general - I will casually mention that this is the type of
thing that makes me think that starting to work with QA on a better
(or perhaps "existent") set of criteria / testing process for cloud
images.  I think right now for EC2 it is basically "does it boot" -
and IIRC the switch to grub2 certainly hosed us up quite a bit.

My later post goes beyond that:

If an update won't apply hands off and reboot cleanly, it is broken. If one cannot always run:
       (shutdown, snap a quiescent backup, and restart)
       yum -y update && reboot

of an an arbitrarily stale image in the supported cycle, it is broken (Fedora expects 'nigh daily updates and reboots, but people take vacations or dont reboot daily, so stale cruft accumulates). So long as all is under package management and in the four corners, one needs to be able to always update and reboot

(new content) which implies keeping a collection of 'point in time backups, and firing them up, and making sure that all still works. We are set up to do (and do) quiescent dailies on selected test vitim canaries, so we can replicate the 'point in time' that a customer's box may have been at, the day before it 'went off the tracks'
	http://gallery.herrold.com/F17-backup-tree.png

We throw away dailies after a week, weeklies after a month, as most problems have surfaced pretty quickly

Does anyone test the creation and usage of their own images using
other tools around alpha/beta, or simply wait until
post-final-release?

As noted, I tried (via RawHide) and our local testing instances dom0's, but it was clear that this was a non-starter. Back, ten years ago, I also tracked RawHide dailies, when on the former:
	testers-list

but this was pre-cloud and I had dedicated machines and scripts (primarily kickstart recipies) to do this with

Best regards,

-- Russ herrold