Cloud: Technology or Operations Model?

On Wed, 20 Jan 2010, David Huff wrote:

> On 01/20/2010 04:23 PM, Mike McGrath wrote:

> >> OK, fair enough.  But there are also tools that are well suited to support
> >> that operations model, and tools that are poorly suited.
> >>
> >> If you build good enough tools, they become Technology with a capital T.
> >> That's what can happen when the open source model works.  Too many folks
> >> are trying to start on the Product end, instead of starting on the tools
> >> end (and by extension, the users end).  My $0.02.
> >>
> >> I'm interested in tools approaches that help our users.  I think that's
> >> the advantage that Fedora can provide -- a group of knowledgeable folks
> >> who share and refine the best tools.  Red Hat benefits if those tools,
> >> over time, emerge into a Product for which Red Hat can sell support.
> >>

> > Tools that help our users do what?  It can't be cloud stuff because at
> > that point it's circular reasoning.
> >
> > 	-Mike
>
> Well there are three components of cloud stuff
>
> 1) The images that run the guests, the hypervisor, or node.
>
> 2) Cloud management, They manage not only the underlying nodes but also
> the guest on the nodes.
>
> 3) The guests

There are three components of virtualization:

1) The hosts that run the guests

2) A way to manage the guests.

3) The guests.

I hope I don't become that cranky guy.  But as someone that's been using
virtualization for a long time and get the difference between clouds and
virtualization... I see the majority of the planet doesn't see the
difference and it bugs me to no end because it causes decisions, planning,
resource commitments to be completely misplaced.

	-Mike