Cloud: Technology or Operations Model?

On 01/20/2010 04:23 PM, Mike McGrath wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Jan 2010, Greg DeKoenigsberg wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 20 Jan 2010, Mike McGrath wrote:
>>
>>> I'll start this thread.  I'm firmly in the "a cloud is an operations
>>> model" camp.  It's important because when people say "I want a cloud" and
>>> we say "You want ovirt" or "you want eucalyptus."  I think that's wrong.
>>
>> OK, fair enough.  But there are also tools that are well suited to support
>> that operations model, and tools that are poorly suited.
>>
>> If you build good enough tools, they become Technology with a capital T.
>> That's what can happen when the open source model works.  Too many folks
>> are trying to start on the Product end, instead of starting on the tools
>> end (and by extension, the users end).  My $0.02.
>>
>> I'm interested in tools approaches that help our users.  I think that's
>> the advantage that Fedora can provide -- a group of knowledgeable folks
>> who share and refine the best tools.  Red Hat benefits if those tools,
>> over time, emerge into a Product for which Red Hat can sell support.
>>

> Tools that help our users do what?  It can't be cloud stuff because at
> that point it's circular reasoning.
>
> 	-Mike

Well there are three components of cloud stuff

1) The images that run the guests, the hypervisor, or node.

2) Cloud management, They manage not only the underlying nodes but also
the guest on the nodes.

3) The guests

The problem is that Fedora fits into all of these places.  For the EC2
users we are focused on #3, for Ovirt, RHEV-H, and other cloud
deployments #1, and for Fedora infrastructure we are focused on all
three but mainly #2?

So how do we approach this?

-D