Re: Fedora on Librem 5: is it possible?

On Sat, Apr 10, 2021 at 12:09 PM Massi aka Ergosum
<massi.ergosum@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Il giorno lun 5 apr 2021 alle ore 23:22 Peter Robinson
> <pbrobinson@xxxxxxxxx> ha scritto:
> >
> > On Thu, Mar 25, 2021 at 10:30 AM Massimiliano <massi.ergosum@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > >
> > > I'm trying to understand if it's possible to boot the Librem 5 from an
> > > external usb drive [1].
> >
> > Fedora will boot off what ever storage the firmware supports, it also
> > depends on where you expect the firmware to resided.
> >

> As far I understand [1] uboot cannot read from SD card because it's attached
> behind an USB hub.

I don't know the hardware or have the hardware, and I'll repeat
exactly what I stated above to ensure I was clear "Fedora will boot
off what ever storage the firmware supports"

> > > I think that kexec could be a good start point.
> >
> > Not sure what kexec provides in this context.
> >

> My idea is:
> 1- Install Fedora on a SD card partition using virtualization
> 2- Insert SD card into L5 slot
> 3- Boot L5: the PureOS system will be loaded
> 4- Open a terminal as root
> 5- Use kexec to boot the Fedora kernel from SD card
>
> Unfortunately [1] it seems that kexec doesn't work.
> A different way has been proposed: configure an alternative
> boot using an environment variable. Not very simple indeed.

I don't know what Purism is doing, they've made some choices around
their HW which is frankly quite strange, I've stated this before [1],
and attempted to cover up the fact the HW needs various firmware to
work by masking them and doing, or at least attempting to do and I
have no idea if those experiments worked out or not, weird things in
the early boot process to setup the SoC. It was at that point I
stopped following what they were doing.

I'm aware of at least one person reporting that they had booted Fedora
on the device, they asked me if I could enable some drivers for some
of the sensors, I have no idea how they achieved it etc.

Like with all these early devices we can assist where possible but
there's an expectation of some level of being able to deal with the
very early low level booting of arm devices yourself because debugging
these devices over email or IRC is difficult.

[1] https://nullr0ute.com/2017/10/why-im-not-backing-the-purism-librem-5-phone/