Re: aarch64 testing enabled in openQA production

On Sun, 2020-11-01 at 21:38 +0100, Dan Čermák wrote:
> Hi Adam and Peter,
>
> these are really great news!
>
> Do you guys also have plans to enable some bare metal tests for some
> supported boards for aarch64?

Hi, Dan. If by "enable" you mean "run in openQA", then the answer is
"not immediately, no". We don't do any bare metal testing in openQA on
any arches, and we're not set up for it at all. openQA has some
capacities in that direction but it requires hardware with specific
capabilities (and/or a lot of work writing a backend around the
capabilities that are present and adapting tests to it). Basically, at
minimum we need a reliable way to get console input into and out from
the device (usually a serial console), and that just lets us test stuff
that can be input over a console line; to do any of the graphical
interactive testing, we ideally need some kind of management interface
which supports VNC, since VNC is the most mature and capable openQA
graphical/input backend. And then we need to acquire some of that
hardware and either deploy it in the Fedora infra data center (which
has space issues, apparently) or try and make it work from outside,
which should theoretically be possible but again is something we have
not done before.

So: not right now. :)

We *do* already do bare metal testing manually as part of release
validation, quite a lot of it.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey