Re: Fedora Council policy proposal: Community Publishing Platforms

On 21/09/2020 16:20, Ben Cotton wrote:
> The Fedora Council is considering a new policy to define Community
> Publishing Platforms. It provides a loose framework of how moderation
> is handled in cases that involve the Fedora Trademark[1]. The policy
> as proposed[2] by Justin W. Flory, with edits from the Fedora Council,
> is found in Fedora-Council/council-docs#67.
>
> For more information on the reasoning and background behind this
> proposal, see the Fedora Community Blog[4].
>
> Please use this thread for comment. There is a two-week community
> comment period after which time the Council will begin voting on the
> proposal.
>
> [1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Legal:Trademark_guidelines#Community_sites_and_accounts
> [2] https://pagure.io/Fedora-Council/tickets/issue/293
> [3] https://pagure.io/Fedora-Council/council-docs/pull-request/67
> [4] https://communityblog.fedoraproject.org/council-policy-proposal-community-publishing-platforms/

The draft refers to "Adult content".  Talking about the leader of an
organization having a romantic conflict of interest with the leader of
another organization is an ethical issue, not a pornographic one.
Nobody ever made reference to private or physical aspects of their
relationship.

The issue was misrepresented as a "personal attack" because people don't
feel good talking about their conflicts of interest.  Once again, other
organizations see those conflicts of interest as legitimate concerns,
for example, the ACM has this[5] in their Code of Ethics:

"Computing professionals should be forthright about any circumstances
that might lead to either real or perceived conflicts of interest or
otherwise tend to undermine the independence of their judgment."

The first link[1] above includes the quote "Our intent is for all Fedora
community members to have a positive and welcoming experience in all
community spaces, official and unofficial."

That appears to be a fantasy.  No such organization ever existed, unless
it was an organization of one person.  Every organization has to deal
with some conflict, politics and ethical issues from time to time.  The
most successful countries, like the United States, often see fierce
debate between people in leadership positions.  The countries that
silence debate often become irrelevant, like North Korea, where the
leader "moderated" a potential rival with an anti-aircraft gun.

The ACM's Code of Ethics also states "A computing professional should be
transparent and provide full disclosure of all pertinent system
capabilities, limitations, and potential problems to the appropriate
parties.".  When the leader of a voluntary organization has a conflict
of interest, anybody else making a full disclosure to volunteers appears
to be acting ethically, even if the person with a conflict of interest
might not feel that is a "positive and welcoming experience"

Regards,

Daniel

5. https://www.acm.org/code-of-ethics
6.