Re: giving people credit for their work

Daniel,

This will be my last post before migrating everything over to a new email address for my new LLC and revising which mailing lists I participate in, and how much and why.

First, I completely understand what you're talking about regarding group harassment, shadow-banning, general repression of folks' work, etc, but I haven't seen a great deal of that in the Fedora community.  That's actually one of the reasons I came to Fedora and continue to support it's efforts where I can or when I have time.

You have no idea the kind of lies I've seen told about me by petty trolls in the F/OSS space, generally in other older distro spaces.  I completely get this, and yes, it's a rampant problem in the broader community.

I....I sympathize a great deal with what you're working out, and I went through a phase myself where I was struggling a bit in processing it, and wanted the whole world to know about it to defend my reputation.  I picked up my saber and shield and rattled them together and consequently got sucked into one petty dispute after another with such ouroboric result that it was starting to muddle what the issue was -- giving defamers, stalkers, harassers the smoke screen needed to avoid accountability.  How you react is everything -- and none of it is intuitive -- when dealing with things like that the natural, healthy reaction, to confront it everywhere until the threat is no longer a threat, is the least productive.  But this isn't just bad actors in F/OSS, it's everywhere.  I'm a corporate linux professional as well and see it often in that space too -- it's just a "people in groups" thing.

Then, one day, I looked back and realized that my reputation won out after I became dislocated from those bodies.  Places that engage in that, or facilitate that, generally tend to die out -- or phase out bad actors.

But, sometimes they don't.  Narcissistic, sociopathic, or predatorial natures are generally favored by life, and it's not fair, but, it's the world we live in.

I'm not saying people should accept it.  I'm saying it should be factored into how you process events.  Give them what-for if it's the right thing to do, just, expect to lose alot of those battles.

Case in point, people who engage in those kinds of tactics generally have little armies of enablers -- check out the gaslighting reaction from Hughes -- "that you perceived" when you were trying to raise awareness.

At the same time, he's absolutely right, we can't be too involved in what Debian does in this context because it's a Fedora-centered mailing list.

Again, I just want to reiterate how much I empathize and agree with what you're railing against and how much I want to help you -- you're RIGHT, and people don't say this enough, you are RIGHT, but there is a clear difference between the objective reality we share and the subjective reality that is aggregately experienced by people in groups -- and they do not align well in situations like that, and you definitely cannot beat the latter.  You can influence it.

All of that said, and this is to the other readers -- is there any merit to his allegation of complaints made in secret where no neutral determination of facts is executed where he's given a chance to present his side/defense?  If so, I would like to know more details as it will affect future levels of contribution.

-C

On Sun, Apr 5, 2020 at 9:22 AM Daniel Pocock <daniel@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 05/04/2020 14:21, Richard Hughes wrote:
> On Sun, 5 Apr 2020 at 11:44, Daniel Pocock <daniel@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Instead of thanking me, Hartman immediately made a series of
>> personal attacks to undermine that work.
>
> In all honesty, I don't think many people are reading your emails now.

Please be careful not to try and speak for everybody else.  I understand
some people are sick of dirty politics: I'm one of them.

Personally, I receive emails and other reminders about the hostilities
almost every day, it has only intensified since Hartman's most recent
attacks.  Most of them are supportive of my work yet I would very much
like to find a solution to end all that.  Matt's recent email didn't
appear to acknowledge that overall situation but maybe he doesn't fully
understand it from the perspective of a volunteer.

> Perhaps you could try doing something awesome in Fedora rather than
> sending endless emails about personal attacks you believe you suffered
> working on Debian.

I recently asked[1] for help testing the latest RTC solutions.  Please
feel free to test and reply there.  These are the things I usually
promote through my blogs too.  Among other things, when we release
reSIProcate 1.12.0 this month I would like to publish a blog thanking
all the contributors.

Regards,

Daniel

1.