Re: Git Forge Discussion: What can we do now?

On Wed, Apr 1, 2020 at 10:31 AM Marie Nordin <mnordin@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Evaluating this situation, taking some time to document what went badly, what maybe went well, how we can roll out decisions like this more effectively in the future. Perhaps even writing something publicly so that the community sees we see it went badly, and that we are listening.

Independently of what people think of the outcome, I think the
exercise of collecting and vetting user stories was good and we should
do this for future application-related decisions. As Matthew noted in
the meeting, we agreed in the past that "the Council is willing to
accept closed source or non-free tools in Fedora’s infrastructure
where free and open source tools are not viable or not available." Of
course, the definition of "viable" is open to a lot of debate. Having
a list of requirements (whether expressed as user stories or in some
other form) helps to make "viable" more clear. There's still room for
disagreement, of course, but at least there's a concrete starting
point.

> For the teams that want to stay on Pagure, is that an option?

I don't see why not. In the same way that we allow teams to choose
what communication channels they use, they are also free to use what
git forge/issue tracker they choose.

> How do we ease the path of acceptance around Gitlab for those teams that have to and/or want to move there. The decision to go with it has been made. We need to help the community see, understand, and accept why the decision was made, and then hopefully become inspired to contribute to it. We are working against a lot for this second piece, though I have a couple ideas. I would really love to get input from everyone else.

We could have someone from GitLab be a guest on one of the upcoming
Council Video Meetings. Right now we're open from June on. If June is
too soon, we can schedule it for later.

--
Ben Cotton
He / Him / His