Re: Getting more metrics: Fedora net promoter score survey

On Mon, Dec 02, 2019 at 11:36:09AM -0500, Justin W. Flory wrote:
> A good goal for community metrics to get direct feedback from the Fedora
> contributor community. This was the goal of the demographic /
> contributor survey planning in 2017 because the Diversity & Inclusion
> Team recognized the importance of creating more bidirectional feedback
> loops between the Fedora community and Fedora leadership.

Yeah, and I still would love that. But I also understand the difficulties it
presents. This new approach sidesteps two things: first, we're avoiding
demographic info for now, and second, since it is Red Hat's NPS team running
the survey and managing the data, compliance and GDPR and etc. are handled
for us.

> > people can opt-in to — if you sign up, we'll email you once every three
> > months or six months or so.
> Note there is sampling bias (convenience sampling) with this idea. Those
> who opt in to this list and participate are people who are especially
> motivated to subscribe and share feedback with Fedora leadership. This
> will get some feedback, but you will likely get feedback from a specific
> subset (perhaps an already vocal subset) of the community.

Oh, absolutely. We will have the ability to see where people came to the
survey from, and can take this into account.

> If directly emailing is off the table (which personally does not
> irritate me as a community contributor), then I think we could be more
> creative about where to get people's attention. For example, Elections
> are an activity typically done by an active, dedicated group of
> contributors. Embedding a link to the survey in the Elections site might
> solicit feedback from more types of contributors than an opt-in list.

I agree -- that's a great idea. Thanks!

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>