Re: Proposal: Move Council Discuss List to Discourse

On Mon, Feb 25, 2019 at 3:42 PM Ben Cotton <bcotton@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 25, 2019 at 12:03 PM Neal Gompa <ngompa13@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Sorry for the tiny bit of necromancy, but I wanted to give a small
> > update about this. OpenMandriva has decided to deploy a mailing list
> > system again, and we're splitting development discussions back out to
> > a traditional mailing list system.
> >
> Do you have a writeup somewhere on why you made this decision? If not,
> can you share more details on the thought process here?

Unfortunately, we don't have a specific writeup for this as it was
largely discussed in the openmandriva-cooker IRC channel.

That said, it boiled down to several things:
* It is too difficult to follow conversations properly in
Discourse-based discussions and tagging arbitrary people is not
possible (they have to be registered in the Discourse instance to be
tagged, and that only works through the web UI). Being able to tag
arbitrary people through Cc'ing them is considered quite valuable.
* Discourse mail is very HTML heavy, which makes it cumbersome for a
number of people.
* Sending developer team-wide notices (like broken deps from regular
checks, failed builds during mass rebuild, etc.) is much easier
through a mailing list than through Discourse, as specific
integrations weren't required.
* Freeform conversation threading is not allowed by everyone in
Discourse, whereas it's as easy as changing the subject line in an
email.
* Doing comprehensive filtering for conversations, threads, topics,
and people is much more difficult with Discourse than mail.

And really, the penultimate issue:
* The effort required to properly participate in Discourse
conversations vs regular mailing lists was higher, and high enough
that the majority of developers just simply stopped communicating
outside of IRC. This made asynchronous communication very difficult.
Moreover, the total communication between developers/contributors and
users went down over the past couple of years because of this.

Enough was enough, and we rolled back. For the moment, we have a
simple mail list system, and mail received is being forwarded to
Discourse, with the cooker topic being a read-only mirror of the
mailing list. Over time, the mail list system will evolve and I
suspect we'll eventually disconnect it from Discourse entirely and
replace it with a link to the mail list archiver.