Re: Fedora Council December 2018 Hackfest Report

On 1/7/19 1:59 PM, Neal Gompa wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 7, 2019 at 4:38 PM Kevin Fenzi <kevin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> On 1/7/19 1:04 PM, Neal Gompa wrote:
>> ...snip...
>>
>>> It'd be better if it was easier for more people to participate. We
>>> have a lot of infra-types. It's kind of amazing in a bad way that
>>> despite all that, we don't really have an easy way for more people to
>>> help on that side.
>>
>> There definitely is...become an appentice, send patches for things, get
>> added to other groups and help out with that area.
>>
>> True more access takes more time, but we definitely have had community
>> folks helping out.
>>
>> ...snip...
>>

> Well, I guess I've been doing the "sending patches" thing for
> different infrastructure things, but I don't know what this
> apprenticeship thing is... Any info about that anywhere?

it's pointed to from our getting started doc:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure/GettingStarted

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure_Apprentice

...snip...
> openSUSE's donation program has the people usually ship the hardware
> to them to be set up by the openSUSE Heroes (their equivalent of the
> Fedora admin team). Alternatively, the route CentOS goes where control
> is handed over is an option, too. But I think we'd be better served by
> people giving us equipment (and maybe even money) and allowing people
> to work on their paid time to contribute to leveraging that infra.

I'm not sure the legal logistics of this. Is that a "donation"?
Fedora doesn't exist as a legal entity to accept it as far as I know.

Also, we have been offered donated hardware in the past, but it's
usually more trouble than it's worth. (ie, "I was about to toss this
PentiumIII box out, but I thought I would donate it to you instead").
All these are things we could work out however.
...snip...

> If there's not much holding it back, we should transition to it
> anyway. If it improves the management experience and performance of
> the Copr system, it'd be a huge boon.

I agree the hard part is hopefuly over, but there is still ongoing
support (upgrades, updates, adding new machines, etc).

kevin