Re: Packager Experience objective proposal

> On Tue, Jan 8, 2019 at 2:00 PM Matthew Miller <mattdm(a)fedoraproject.org&gt; wrote:
>
> Sure, I think it makes sense for improvements to
> container/flatpak/module packaging to fall under the scope of this
> objective as well!
>
> I admit that Modularity is part of my motivation for filing this
> objective-- I'd like to make sure we keep the packager experience in
> mind as the modularity rollout continues. My worry with modularity
> (which I've expressed before on the devel list) has been that the
> added overhead of creating and maintaining a module will end up
> detracting from the other benefits of being able to modularize
> stuff... so it would be nice to help make sure that doesn't happen!
>

> This is an interesting idea! My initial thought was that the majority
> of packages probably don't *need* something like this, as they don't
> differ much, if at all, from upstream. But I think even for those
> packages, being able to browse a package's sources through a git
> repository via Pagure rather than having to fetch and unpack the
> tarballs would be a major improvement. So yes, I think trying out
> source-git would be something that could fall under the scope of this
> objective.
>
> Cheers,
> Ben Rosser

Ben, thank you for putting this proposal together! It's definitely the step to the right direction.

I'm one of the people behind source-git. At the moment we are in a phase where we are trying to figure out our goals and milestones. Our team will get together and make a plan around devconf. We'll then announce it to Fedora to get the discussion going (feedback is very important). The topics we are talking about are:
* Packaging automation (as Dennis pointed out -- automate tedious tasks)
* Rawhide gating and increasing its stability
* Getting upstream projects closer to downstream
* Easier packaging
* On-demand side tags (what Richard mentioned)
* More convenient packager experience
* And plenty of others, this is just off top of my head

We'll likely won't address all. So it's important for all of us to be on the same page and work together so we don't step on each other's toes and there are clear expectations between each other.

Matt, thanks for the pointers, I'm not on this list actually so I'm glad you made me aware.

Tomas