Re: Do we want to promote Fedora as "Linux"? How *do* we want people to find us?

On 09/18/2017 01:57 PM, Matthew Miller wrote:
> Our current top-level marketing strategy is based primarily on the
> three Fedora editions and their target audiences.

We talked about this, but right now it's actually product-centric, not
audience-centric (and should probably be the latter.)

> We have a secondary
> marketing strategy around more focused solutions: for example, the
> Python Classroom Lab has the simple target of teachers and instructors.
> Or the various desktop spins, which target enthusiasts of the
> particular desktop technologies.

Do we really actively market these though?

> I'd love for each Edition WG and Spin/Lab SIG to come up with search
> terms that reflect these goals — for example, ranking high for "desktop for
> developers" might be a goal for Workstation.

If I search for "developer desktop" the top non-ad hit is
https://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/developers

According to the latest Stack Overflow developer survey
(https://insights.stackoverflow.com/survey/2016), Ubuntu represents
12.3% of developers; Windows is #1 @ 52.5%, OS X #2 @ 26.2%.

In 10 pages of results I didn't get any direct hits for Windows or OS X.
On page 3 I got a single article that referenced Windows for developers.
On page 9 I got a single article referencing the stack overflow survey
and OS X's position on it.

Interestingly, the results for "developer":

1. + 2. developer.apple.com
3. developers.google.com
4. wikipedia entry for developer
5. developer.android.com
6. developers.facebook.com
7. developer.servicenow.com
8. lynda.com developer training
9. indeed.com developer jobs
10. developer.com (looks stuck in 1998)

Note in both these instances Windows is the #1 platform by a long shot....

Search engine position is an easy number to get and compare over time,
but is there convincing evidence that it's meaningful? Is it meaningful
in either of these senses?:

1 - Good position in rankings will help make $THING more popular
2 - Good position in rankings reflects popularity of $THING

Is there something else SEO could potentially provide that I'm missing?

> But, specific editions aside, what kind of terms would we like to focus
> on? I'd love for Fedora to be seen as the leader in community Linux
> distros; should we target simple terms like just *Linux*? Beyond search
> engines, do we *want* to market Fedora in that way? Or, do we want to
> do the Android-style thing and market Fedora's OS offerings as their
> own stand-alone brand?

Optimizing for "Linux" doesn't seem the right way to go in 2017. e.g.

https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=all&q=linux,app

Two of our 3 editions are focused on developer workflows, but we do not
go to conferences that are primarily developer-centric, we do not talk
about or mention topics that are of interest to developers (many
referenced in that survey)  on/in any of our external-facing materials
such as our brochure site or any of our marketing materials, save for
Fedora Magazine and the getfedora.org site (the latter could be much better)

As we've discussed, I think maybe merging getfedora.org with
developer.fedoraproject.org and having our main user-focused site
centered around developer topics could help.

Reaching out and giving Fedora a presence where developers are would
also help - here are some ideas -

- development classes on udemy / skillshare / udacity / youtube / etc
showcasing the tech in fedora applied to development problems + skill
mastery

- starting an ambassadors program for developers who are interested in
Fedora to represent us at developer conferences

- seeking out more and deeper developer content for Fedora Magazine

I think at this point in time, without a coherent narrative about what
we have to offer, SEO is not actually useful - we won't target the right
terms. We need a tighter and richer feedback loop with our target
audience to understand what we have to offer and where we need to
improve and we need to work on improving in a visible way towards those
unmet needs. Build the narrative on that. Without a narrative, if we
promote the right thing but we're deficient, it's not going to help it
will hurt; if we promote the wrong thing, it won't help either.

Cheers
~m