Re: Do we want to promote Fedora as "Linux"? How *do* we want people to find us?

On Tue, Sep 19, 2017 at 02:06:38PM -0400, Máirín Duffy wrote:
> > Our current top-level marketing strategy is based primarily on the
> > three Fedora editions and their target audiences.
> We talked about this, but right now it's actually product-centric, not
> audience-centric (and should probably be the latter.)

Well, the marketing strategy is intended to be audience-centric, but
structured around the editions as a way of organizing the project.
That's somewhat different from whether the website is audience or
edition-centric.

> > We have a secondary
> > marketing strategy around more focused solutions: for example, the
> > Python Classroom Lab has the simple target of teachers and instructors.
> > Or the various desktop spins, which target enthusiasts of the
> > particular desktop technologies.
> Do we really actively market these though?

Secondarily. :)

> > I'd love for each Edition WG and Spin/Lab SIG to come up with search
> > terms that reflect these goals — for example, ranking high for "desktop for
> > developers" might be a goal for Workstation.
> If I search for "developer desktop" the top non-ad hit is

That would be an excellent one for us to improve. Right now, Google
webmaster console puts getfedora at 100 for that, although it's
possible that https://developer.fedoraproject.org/ (which I don't
currently have visibility into) scores higher.

> Search engine position is an easy number to get and compare over time,
> but is there convincing evidence that it's meaningful? Is it meaningful
> in either of these senses?:
>
> 1 - Good position in rankings will help make $THING more popular
> 2 - Good position in rankings reflects popularity of $THING

I think #2 is _probably_ true. And #1 is probably true if advertising
works at all, which it seems to.

We can also get numbers on click-through %. Just being the top result
and never having any resulting traffic is less useful.

> Two of our 3 editions are focused on developer workflows, but we do not
> go to conferences that are primarily developer-centric, we do not talk
> about or mention topics that are of interest to developers (many
> referenced in that survey)  on/in any of our external-facing materials
> such as our brochure site or any of our marketing materials, save for
> Fedora Magazine and the getfedora.org site (the latter could be much better)

I definitely agree.

> I think at this point in time, without a coherent narrative about what
> we have to offer, SEO is not actually useful - we won't target the right
> terms. We need a tighter and richer feedback loop with our target
> audience to understand what we have to offer and where we need to
> improve and we need to work on improving in a visible way towards those
> unmet needs. Build the narrative on that. Without a narrative, if we
> promote the right thing but we're deficient, it's not going to help it
> will hurt; if we promote the wrong thing, it won't help either.

Hmmmm. I definitely agree on the importance of getting the narrative
right — and on backing it up with real tech. But I think there's also
low-hanging fruit we can handle to increase visibility.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>