Re: Updating the Fedora Project Mission

On 04/18/2017 08:02 AM, Zamir SUN wrote:
> Feeling the new mission focuses more on technical and less about
> community that the previous one.
As someone who is less technical, just wanted to point out that the
mission is what those less technical work to support and don't
necessarily have to do directly.
> As there are community members who do more promoting than engineering,
> I feel that "build tailored solutions for their users" can be
> improved. Think like this, are the contributors matters? And are we a
> FOSS community, or a company-style community focus on products? With
> the wording above, I feel it is too much product focused, rather than
> working as a FOSS community.
> For me I don't feel like joining a community cares about product more
> than FOSS.
Totally get your point. I agree with others who've said the four F's
cover the community aspect, though. Traditionally we've rallied around
Fedora as an OS, which is just as product-y as this one. The promoting
was to promote that OS. Now those of us who work on things like
marketing and design and ambassadors - we're promoting something just
slightly different. I don't think this changes the focus on community or
what we do except for the thing we promote.

~m