Re: strawman regional buget scenario

On Fri, May 06, 2016 at 12:16:46PM -0400, Josh Boyer wrote:
> > APAC:       $11500         34.8%        151.3%
> > EMEA:       $21650         65.1%        144.3%
> > LATAM:      $10950         47.2%         99.5%
> > NA:         $29400         49.0%        121.5%
> > Like I said, here's a starting point. What do you think?
> To be clear, the numbers above are contingent on the regions
> submitting an actual proposed budget with detailed plans for the
> funds, correct?  I know that is a departure from previous years, but
> given we want to start tracking our money more clearly, I would think
> having those budgets and plans in place before funds are allocated
> makes sense.

Right. I don't — at all — think the Council should micromanage regional
activity, but we definitely need to be able to draw lines that connect
the dollars to the mission. We need to show that the money benefits
Fedora in a concrete way.

I know that it's hard to plan precisely when we can't know exactly what
the future will hold, but we should have a general idea of the
categories and of the big-ticket items — like, for events, call out at
least the big names. Things like LUGs and local fests can be grouped
together by category (although more advance planning never hurts). I
really like how in LATAM's wiki page (although not in the spreadsheet)
there's a "Goals" for each item. That both helps me understand in
advance _and_ provides a reference for evaluation.

It's worth reviwing
https://eischmann.wordpress.com/2013/03/07/fam-budget-and-governance-reform/
if you haven't read it before or recently — this is basically the
current process. Requests over $2000 are to be approved by FAmSCo under
existing rules. I'm not sure what will happen to the future of FAmSCo
at this point, but presumably we'll keep that responsibility for either
its successor body or the Council directly.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>