Re: Fedora Elections for FAmSCo

----- On Nov 19, 2015, at 2:57 AM, Josh Boyer jwboyer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> [...]
>>> be) an inactive committee and I was questioned why we are organizing
>>> elections for this committee.
>>>
>>> As I understand the situation, there is an aim to replace FAmSCo by
>>> FOSCo & Council. However the current FAmSCo is securing some "level of
>>> service" for Ambassadors, which is not yet covered by any other
>>> group/team/governance body within the Fedora community. As such, I was
>>> explicitly ask by Ambassadors to organize the elections for FAmSCo
>>> team as well, to make sure FAmSCo will operate till the time we have a
>>> full replacement for it.
>>>
>>> However, it seems like we do not have a full agreement on this topic
>>> [1]. I would like to have a discussion here, to come up with a common
>>> agreement whether we support the idea of having FAmSCo operational for
>>> now or we have other solution.
>>>
>>> [1]
>>> https://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/fedora-meeting-2/2015-11-17/fedora-meeting-2.2015-11-17-17.03.log.html
>>> - 17:23:27
>> Thank you Jan for this open discussion, I'm adding here some more
>> informations.
>> First of all FAmSCo is not dead and never has been officially dismissed, but
>> FAmSCo decided months ago to hand all its repsonibilities over to FOSCo,
>> which was planned as an even bigger committee, and which should have
>> included also the Ambassador's activities. Therefor we reduced the activity
>> and after some meetings without reaching a quorum FAmSCo decided to act only
>> through the Trac until new elections would happen or FOSCo will start its
>> activity.
>> Many thing happened in the meanwhile and we are going towards a new and
>> hopefully better budgeting process (thanks to all who worked on it and who
>> are discussing it), but as you said this is not the only responsibility
>> FAmSCo actually has. Unfortunately FAmSCo missed some of its deadlines,
>> there is for example the EMEA FAD planning, release parties, F23 media and
>> other stuff (which in the end happened partially but not in a coordinated
>> way as before).
>>
>> That's why I would welcome, unless we will not reach the minimum number of 7
>> candidates, new elections. These new memebers could give continuity to
>> FAmSCo's activities and the big ambassadors group, on the other hand they
>> could actively help the integration of the actual FAmSCo responsibilities
>> into the Council, FOSCo or whatever.
>> Canceling the Ambassadors Steering Committee without replacing *all* its
>> activities is not the best way if we don't want to loose some parts of the
>> community, so IMO let's do elections and find the best solution to pass over
>> all the stuff and try to represent _all_ regions in the body who will take
>> over in the future the FAmSCo job.
>
> Forgive me, but I have not followed the ambassador side of things for
> a while.  If FAmSCo isn't actually meeting (per the IRC conversation)
> and isn't technically a thing any longer, what is the elected body to

I totally agree with Jiri and Robert, just add more information:

FAmSCo has Mission, Goals [1] and specific Tasks [2] to do.
In fact, while waiting for the new body FOSCo formed up, except doing
regular IRC meetings, we have been done others tasks normally.

> I do not disagree with you at all that we need people performing the
> tasks you highlight, but I'm not sure having an elected body to do
> them is necessary.  Once they are elected, are we to restart FAmSCo,
> or would they only serve until FOSCo actually exists?  Perhaps
> volunteers would be better than elected members of a zombie
> organization?

The fact is FAmSCo in elected form would have more *power* than in
volunteered form.
Ambassadors expect their committee to do assigned tasks well and they
elect for the most potential candidates.

I personally think FAmSCo election should be continued.

Rgds,
Tuan

[1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_Ambassadors_Steering_Committee
[2] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FAmSCo_tasks