Re: In which Matthew goes to Training (and comes back with Ideas about Marketing)

Il giorno mer, 21/10/2015 alle 15.48 -0400, Máirín Duffy ha scritto:
> Hi Gabriele,
>
> (cc'ing the magazine's chief editor)
>
> On 10/21/2015 02:29 PM, Gabriele Trombini wrote:
> > Is my opinion that magazine is a tool to give voice to our
> > community.
> > I'm not sure technical articles are interesting for the whole
> > Fedora
> > world. I think we should reach all the people with a magazine that
> > spreads the Fedora world from the inside.
> > People are more interested to listen stories than a technical
> > article.
> > I'm not discussing about the quality of the two things, but we have
> > consider also people that are approaching this world and want to
> > know
> > inside movements.
> >
> > Maybe a solution could be handle two magazines, with different
> > target:
> >
> > 1) technical magazine;
> > 2) generic magazine.
> >

> We had a discussion about the target audience of the magazine at
> Flock
> and thus far the editing efforts behind the magazine have been
> pushing
> towards the user base instead of the contributor base, with articles
> that would be more suitable for a general audience than just the
> Fedora
> contributor community.
>
> The dichotomy is a bit different than you're posing then -
> contributor
> vs user rather than 'technical' vs 'generic.' Still, contributor
> -focused
> content tends to be mired in technical jargon specific to Fedora and
> the
> magazine has been operating thus far in trying to avoid that.
>
> I don't think 'technical' content is bad so long as its suitable for
> that more general audience and not Fedora-contributor-specific jargon
> (like 'FAS' or 'koji' or whatever)
>
> ~m

Hello Máirín,

I remember the discussion at Flock (which I absolutely agreed), and I
didn't meant that technical content is bad; I argue that technical
-targeted people are definitely lower (in quantity) than non-technical
-targeted people.
There are specific areas of interest for each developer (or technician
in general) followed by people have the same interest in those areas. A
sysadmin, is likely interested to the server improvements, and the
numbers of sysadmin are less than the number of the generic users
(maybe much more interested, speaking about one of your skills, to an
how to gimp/inkskape). It's technical also, but this kind of topic
reaches more people.
When you discussed about fedora.next, or better, when you discuss about
hubs, I see people really interested in, asking questions and talk of
some improvement from their point of view. Instead when a developer
talks about the change of version of video drives, yes, people is
hearing, but how many of them really understand all the thing?

So, I'm for at least categorize magazine, so user are able to find what
they are looking for and for having more topics (just like this one)
that get once more transparency the Project.

But I absolutely don't want the removal of the technical focused
articles.

Thanks.

Gabri