Re: In which Matthew goes to Training (and comes back with Ideas about Marketing)

Hi Gabriele,

(cc'ing the magazine's chief editor)

On 10/21/2015 02:29 PM, Gabriele Trombini wrote:
Is my opinion that magazine is a tool to give voice to our community.
I'm not sure technical articles are interesting for the whole Fedora
world. I think we should reach all the people with a magazine that
spreads the Fedora world from the inside.
People are more interested to listen stories than a technical article.
I'm not discussing about the quality of the two things, but we have to
consider also people that are approaching this world and want to know
inside movements.

Maybe a solution could be handle two magazines, with different target:

1) technical magazine;
2) generic magazine.

We had a discussion about the target audience of the magazine at Flock and thus far the editing efforts behind the magazine have been pushing towards the user base instead of the contributor base, with articles that would be more suitable for a general audience than just the Fedora contributor community.

The dichotomy is a bit different than you're posing then - contributor vs user rather than 'technical' vs 'generic.' Still, contributor-focused content tends to be mired in technical jargon specific to Fedora and the magazine has been operating thus far in trying to avoid that.

I don't think 'technical' content is bad so long as its suitable for that more general audience and not Fedora-contributor-specific jargon (like 'FAS' or 'koji' or whatever)

~m