Re: [board] #12: Fedora Council Charter Draft: collect concerns for revisions in preparation for vote

#12: Fedora Council Charter Draft: collect concerns for revisions in preparation
for vote
------------------------+-----------------------
 Reporter:  mattdm      |       Owner:  mattdm

Comment (by immanetize):

 A lot of the discussion here so far has been on voting; who gets a vote,
 what constitutes an accepted vote, how the voters are selected, how a vote
 is blocked, and so on.

 While a lot of things definitely will *need* to come down to a vote, I
 strongly believe that the charge given to this council should not be one
 of producing voted decisions.  The current board is arguably vote-centric,
 and perhaps part of the struggle for that body to have influence comes
 from a posture of waiting for questions to be posed that require a voting
 decision.

 To an active coordinating body, I think that voting should be an ancillary
 function.  The group should be working to coordinate strategy from
 stakeholders and the community at large, and produce tactics defined and
 accepted by the same.  To me, at least, the intention for the council to
 operate this way is evident - but I'm concerned that the focus on voting
 might lead to a body focused on voting. Or perhaps worse - lead people to
 appoint or elect members based on how they might vote, instead of how they
 might interact with the community.

 I'm reminded of a passage from The Open Source Way:

 {{{
 Most decisions in an open community are not decided by
  a vote. As in a well-working democracy, decisions are
  handled by the experts and knowledgeable people who
  are in charge at the will of the people around them.

 Voting is best left for deciding who is in charge and
  the occasional very contentious issue. Don't you wish
  it weren't contentious? Wish you could go back and
  make a consensus?
 }}}

 I don't have any specific suggestions on how to codify that, but I hope
 the comments can be useful to someone that can.

--
Ticket URL: <https://fedorahosted.org/board/ticket/12#comment:11>
board <https://fedorahosted.org/board>