Re: [board] #8: Fedora Gear Store

On 07/07/2014 01:00 PM, Christoph Wickert wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, den 03.07.2014, 22:16 -0400 schrieb Ruth Suehle:
>> Tom and I have talked to the relevant Red Hat people over the last few
>> months. (In the past, we've been told that this simply wasn't an
>> option because we couldn't take in money, and even selling it at cost
>> wasn't OK.) The good news is all we have to do now is pick a vendor,
>> which in Red Hat options pretty much means Staples or Brand Fuel.
>
> Hi Ruth,
> hi Spot,
>
> this is indeed good news. Thanks for all your hard work!
>
> Given that we have been fighting for a gear store for ages, I am
> surprised (to say the least) about this outcome. Can you please shed
> some more light on this?
>
> I mean, we were told there were legal problems, requirements from the
> logo usage and trademark guidelines, and lengthy phone calls with Pam
> and other people from the legal department. And now all over sudden all
> this no longer plays a role?
>
> I'm pretty sure it was not "all over sudden", but somebody has been
> working on this pretty hard. I'd like know more about thus and to say
> "thank you" to this person(s).

Lawyers change, processes change. We still have trademark compliance to
worry about, but as long as the items in the store clear that (and most
of that will go through me), it should not be overly painful to add new
items. Ruth and I have been working on this in our spare cycles for a
while now.

Some of this became simpler for Red Hat to understand as a result of
Flock, because of how we had to handle sponsorships for that, but there
was no magic button that got pressed, just a lot of "yes, we really need
this, how can we make it happen" conversations.

~tom

==
University Outreach || Fedora Special Projects || Fedora Legal
null