Re: Fedora naming proposal based on Periodic Table of Elements

On Thu, 11 Oct 2012, Máirín Duffy wrote:

On Thu, 2012-10-11 at 11:44 -0500, inode0 wrote:
http://lwn.net/Articles/488900/

I don't really see this article as evidence the media agrees with
anything. It is an article reporting on what was happening at the time
within Fedora. Most of the comments aren't even on topic and the ones
that are seem pretty mild to my ears.

Here's some examples of media and comments from outside the Fedora
community:

"Fedora 17 arrived on Tuesday following a three-week delay. Nicknamed
Beefy Miracle, the Fedora Project promised 'over and under-the-bun
improvements that show off the power and flexibility of the advancing
state of free software.' That's a bold claim for a package with such a
ridiculous name. "
Gavin Clarke, http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/05/30/fedora_17_review/

"I tend to think that name is nearly as bad as "Beefy Miracle" (the
codename Fedora 17 has). And I think the link between the two (¹) is
nearly as dubious as the one between F16 and F17 :-/ I got the feeling
the codenames for Fedora(²) (and RHL) that were selected by some Red Hat
engineers internally tended to be better more often than those that got
selected by Fedora contributors in a vote. I wonder if Fedora should get
(back?) to a model where a few experienced and a few new contributors
(those that do a lot of work) get to suggest names (with input from the
community) and decide the final one when legal gave their blessing to a
few. Sure, that is not a democratic way, but hey, there is a reasons why
meritocratic is used in so many open source projects."
Thorsten Leemhuis,
https://plus.google.com/107616711159256259828/posts/Nxc6kH4UCod

"I suggest that the name of Fedora 19 be "Fedora 19", and that Red Hat
give half of the money this proposal saves them in legal bills to
charity and the other half to their stockholders. If a code name is
required, "Nineteen" will do. "
"Exactly. Codenames are nice if you have good marketing and people
connect the product with the name. Fedora does not do that. So Red hat
should just remove the silly names. "
http://lwn.net/Articles/510090/

All of the above are valid, imo.

All after that fall into the 'internet is full of jerks in comments' and should be ignored.

-sv