Grub vs. syslinux (ws Re: Remaining issues for the multi desktop DVD)

Am Mittwoch, den 12.01.2011, 14:51 -0500 schrieb MÃirÃn Duffy:

> Putting aside the noise introduced by the timestamp and
> gratuitous-hyphenation-making-the-individual-entries-less-readable, GRUB
> introduces a lot of useless spew about memory along the top and overly
> verbose and unnecessary language in the four lines below the menu. GRUB
> only allows 14 colors, which is why you see more severe dithering and
> banding in the second screenshot than the current Fedora screenshot
> (syslinux supports a much larger palette.) It would be nice to drop the
> GRUB menu borders as well. I don't know if GRUB allows for this;
> syslinux does.

Do you really feel you need to bring this up in this discussion? Is it a
remaining issue for the multi-desktop DVD or an issue we are having for
quite a long time?

> Each instance of putting our name on something that is clearly
> unpolished compromises our brand. Why risk this when it is so easy to
> clean it up?

If you want to see this changed, write a message with a link to your
mouck-ups fedora-devel, create a feature page in the wiki and kickstart
the feature process. I'm willing to help you if you come up with a
proposal and I'm sure we have more people supporting you.

> Is it GRUB or syslinux being used for the proposed multispin DVD?

Grub, already back in October.

Regards,
Christoph