Re: Proposal for the new Fedora Project

On Fri, Oct 01, 2010 at 11:09:39 -0500,
  "Christofer C. Bell" <christofer.c.bell@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 11:00 AM, Mike McGrath <mmcgrath@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > I'm proposing we do a multi-year shift from being a community of packagers
> > to a community of developers.  That way, at least, we control our own
> > destiny.  As it is now, upstream does where upstream is.. well upstream.
>
> This isn't really what you're proposing.  You're proposing that the
> Fedora Project move away from proving a product (an operating system)
> to providing a collection of services (which are ill defined).  I
> can't see any concrete path to get from where to are to that point,
> and I'm unconvinced there's value in trying to find one.

The service applications will also be products. We will probably also probably
provide some services for use within the project, but I think the goal
is to allow many groups to run those services using the apps produced by
Fedora. In some cases these service instances may talk to each other, in
others that wouldn't make sense.