Re: Update/install experience

On Wed, 16 Dec 2009, Paul W. Frields wrote:

Jumping in because it's a topic of great interest for me, even though
I'm not deeply involved in daily QA work.  QA folks, forgive me if I
go astray or misrepresent anything.

On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 04:48:38PM -0700, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 11:06:33 -0500
Will Woods <wwoods@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Who is testing them "as a single unit" ?

Anyone who's interested in testing updates or getting early access to
new fixes and features. Collectively referred to as "QA". I'm sure
you've heard of us?

Sure. :)

I am just worried that this is a "well, everyone will jump in and test"
type of thing. If they aren't doing so now, how does this setup
increase QA folks? Or you think the current folks in QA will be able to
test all updates in the flow if it was just organized a bit better?

Problems in the help channels sometimes come down to users having to
run 'rpm -q <bunches_o'_stuff>' because when you ask "What Fedora are
you running?" the answer isn't all that helpful starting a few weeks
after release day.

Actually yum may be able to help with that, now.

The 'yum version' command allows us to setup groups of pkgs to query and produce a checksum that can be easily compared. It'd be possible to check a base set of pkgs to see if they match up to what is useful for testing.

from the docs:

version
         Produces a "version" of the rpmdb, and of the enabled reposito-
        ries if "all" is given as the first argument. You can also spec-
        ify version groups in the version-groups config. file. If you
        pass -v, for verbose mode, more information is listed. The ver-
        sion is calculated by taking a sha1 hash of the packages (in
        sorted order), and the checksum_type/checksum_data entries from
        the yumdb. Note that this rpmdb version is now also used signif-
        icantly within yum (esp. in yum history).

-sv