Re: Proposal for ML conduct

On Fri, 2009-05-15 at 08:04 +0200, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:

> But we are not children. And I for one don't want mummy to get involved,
> as that always makes the others feel unwell and in the end it afaics
> often creates new, bigger problems (which I'd say seems likely  here
> afaics).
>
> >  It's not really the board's fault that
> > people got tired of nothing happening on the lists and brought it to the
> > project overseers.  We're trying to get something in place to correct
> > the problem ASAP.
>
> It's been a problem for years, so I can't see why we need ASAP suddenly.

The need for this week is exactly that it's been a problem for years,
and frankly we're tired of it.  Any other OSS project the trouble people
would have been bounced, years ago, without question.  Only here in
Fedora we're drowning in our own bureaucracy too scared to do anything
because somebody in the project might disagree with it.  The board has
been elected to oversee the project, to make the hard decisions, to
intervene when compromise cannot be met, to drive the project somewhere,
and to be the responsible parties for what happens within Fedora.  We're
not happy with what is happening within Fedora, and instead of throwing
more red tape around and creating yet another committee to somehow
democratically clean up the behavior on a few mailing lists, we're going
to saddle one or two people with the responsibility of being list
nannies.  With any luck, just the act of appointing somebody and letting
it be known that what you do and say on lists are not going unnoticed
will have an effect on what people do and say on lists, thus rendering
the nanny unnecessary, or at least idle.  Kind of like having an obvious
traffic cop posted somewhere.  You know (s)he's there so you slow down.
(S)He may never pull anybody over, but for the entire day people went
the speed limit.  Mission accomplished.  If we have to give people a
gentle reminder from time to time, we will.

Things went from bad to much much worse in a very short amount of time,
at least in our perspective.  Waiting longer to fix things doesn't feel
like the answer.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!