Re: "Fedora" in a domain name

Scott Williams wrote:

Rahul,

That is a very good point. In the same, I see no compelling reason for Fedora to hold the domain. We will meet all the criteria in http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Legal/TrademarkGuidelines#Web_sites. This will be a site put on by community members for the benefit of the Fedora community, and since Fedora would have the ability to request a takedown for trademark violation if those guidelines are no longer met, then Fedora should have nothing to fear with another party holding the domain.

It isn't fear. It is about what is convenient from a legal and community perspective. It would merely be easier if we avoid round trips to Red Hat Legal since Red Hat doesn't have a huge legal team and there is usually a large pile of issues including Fedora ones (thanks Spot!). If you really want a separate domain, that is certainly a choice for you to make. It is all explained in

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Local_community_domains

However note that the trademark guidelines you are referring to as well as the page above is still a draft and needs vetting from Red Hat Legal.

Rahul