Re: Proposal: Fedora@Home Project

Karsten 'quaid' Wade wrote:
On Wed, Mar 5, 2008 at 7:58 AM, Jeffrey Ollie <jeff@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
 Other than the obvious difficulties in determining what the carbon
 cost of a kWH is for every location on the globe, that sounds like a
 useful project in itself.
If I use a handcrank on an OLPC as part of the grid.. is that negative
carbon cost?

During the daylight hours here in the Pacific central coast, my cycles
are solar powered.  It would be cool, as part of Jesse's idea, to mark
my contributions to the grid to occur during specific hours.  Heck, tie
it into the weather and reduce it 20% for cloud cover. :)

It is possible, if you provide the appropriate data to Condor, to use
its flexible matching mechanism (/matchmaking/ between jobs and execute
 nodes) to favor your machine during hours that it is being solar
powered. Now cloud cover...

Work is also underway to provide mechanisms to wake suspended or
hibernated systems when jobs are available for the system. Thus letting
you keep your system in a low power state until it can perform useful work.

Best,

matt