Re: What makes a spin a Spin?

On Tue, 26 Feb 2008, Max Spevack wrote:

On Tue, 26 Feb 2008, Jesse Keating wrote:

Sortof. It seems that Max wants to empower folks in areas to create and share things called Fedora without going through releng / QA because releng / QA resources are finite. I tend to want this too, but in a way that the product is labeled as contrib and not official Fedora.

Sortof right back at you.

What I want is:

(1) A clear set of guidelines for what it takes for something to be an official spin. For example, KDE is an official spin. Games is an official spin, right? So is Electronics Lab. Is XFCE an official spin?

If I am a person who has created a spin, and I want it to become "official", I want to know what steps are necessary to take.

I also want to be able to see the .ks files for all the official spins, because that will help me to create my own spin in a way that is likely to have a higher initial quality than if I just go off on my own, because I'm working from a known-good starting point.

(2) A place for people to share the spins that are not "blessed" like those in group (1). Perhaps this is just the CustomSpins page on the Fedora wiki, which can have pointers off to .ks files and hosted spins elsewhere.

(3) A description of how spins in group (1) should be named, and how spins in group (2) should be named.

If those things all exist, then any person or entity that is interested in customizing Fedora can decide which end goal they want to pursue, because the different expectations (and rewards for meeting those expectations) are spelled out.

My feeling is that we have talked around a lot of these issues many times, but never actually codified the decisions in a single place, and figured out who is responsible for keeping that document updated, or modifying it when necessary.

Ding ding ding!

So!  Fedora Board!  Will you spell these things out?  :)

--g

--
Greg DeKoenigsberg
Community Development Manager