Re: governance, fesco, board, etc.

And finally: Who do you think was making pressure to finally do the merger? Yes, it was the community and Red Hat opened up all old Core structures to make it more community-like. And attacking Red Hat for doing that seems bizarre.

Thank you for this point, Axel.

Fedora as a whole is MORE OPEN today than it was, say, when Fedora Core 5 came out. I don't really see how anyone can claim otherwise with a straight face.

And whether you realize it or not, a lot of the "behind the scenes" stuff that you didn't see was a lot of the "evil @redhat.com folks" like Jesse, Jeremy, Bill, Greg, and me explaining to various other levels of management within Red Hat why it was important to merge everything, why it was important to have a "free" build system and compose tool, etc. Of course the overall drumbeat was coming from the community, but that community goal had strong advocates within Red Hat who were willing to use all of their "political capital" to GET THE RIGHT THING DONE.

If "Red Hat hated Fedora" we'd still have a Core and Extras separation, we wouldn't have hired a few people from the Fedora community to various places within Red Hat in the past year to focus 100% on Fedora (mmcgrath works for me, skvidal and toshio work for Red Hat's CTO, Brian Stevens). Heck, if Red Hat hated Fedora, I wouldn't have a job, because Red Hat wouldn't think that it's important to have someone be the "public face/accountable figure" for the Project.

I'm sure some of you think I suck at my job. But that's a different topic. The point is that Red Hat cares deeply about Fedora. I think the actions we've seen out of Red Hat over the past couple of releases demonstrate that.

--
Max Spevack
+ http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/MaxSpevack