Re: cross-site bug tracking

On Wed, 11 Apr 2007, Luis Villa wrote:

On 4/11/07, Christopher Blizzard <blizzard@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
A little pontificating, sorry:  Over time I've become less and less of a
fan of bugzilla.  Mostly because people see it as a hammer for all their
nails: bug fixing, task assignment, customer defect resolution and even
release management.  I think that other than "here's the issues that as
a developer I know I need to fix" it does a crappy job.

Agree. In particular, bugzilla flags are the most horrible kludge in
the history of UI kludges.

And even for developers, it is only a least-bad option, like democracy
or capitalism.

As always, the choice is:

1. Continue to make incremental fixes to a system that is engineered suboptimally. Low risk, low cost, moderate reward.

2. Design a totally kick-ass new system that is engineered optimally -- unless, of course, it isn't. High risk, high cost, high reward.

Well, Canonical has. I think their execution has been poor, but they
have had the right vision for several years now.

Their vision is wrong because, no matter the architecture decisions they've made, they *think* they're smart enough to build it as a proprietary application -- and they're not. This is *exactly* the class of application that *must* be open source if it's got any hope of success.

No other big community has made the full jump to a modern distributed
RCS yet; my sense is that this is a prereq for modern bugtracking. So
start there.

+1 to this.  In theory, anyway.

(I think GNOME would be happy to switch away from bugzilla to
something distributed, but has ~ 0 manpower to write the tool in the
first place. You obviously know mozilla better than I do, but I'd be
shocked if they are ready to move away from bugzilla- too tied into
it.)

And this is the problem in a nutshell. Everyone agrees with the idea in theory, but no one has the manpower to make it happen in practice.

--g

--
Greg DeKoenigsberg
Community Development Manager