Re: cross-site bug tracking

On Tue, 10 Apr 2007, Christopher Blizzard wrote:

Some good comments and questions from the desktop-arch list.  Worth
thinking about as Fedora is one of the few places that has to bridge
between itself and a huge number of upstream projects and at the same
time have a commitment to free software for our infrastructure as well
as what we distribute.

Thoughts?  (For the record, before it's mentioned, re-implement
Launchpad as free software is not a solution, I suspect.  We can do
something with the rest of the free software community that everyone
could adopt if we try and solve it the right way.)

--Chris

You all know my thoughts on this -- but to recap:

1. Get engaged with the xmlrpc work that's going on in upstream bugzilla. Make sure it's good. That takes care of the transport layer.

2. Work to get OpenID support into upstream bugzilla. That takes care of the authentication layer.

3. Work on the web UI to implement the "send this bug to another instance of bugzilla". That takes care of the interface layer.

That's the winning strategy, I think. The question is, who has the time to implement, or to oversee implementation?

FWIW, I think it's pretty strategic, and a lot of these pieces are already happening, so it's probably a matter of someone doing a strong design exercise -- but my hands are full elsewhere.

--g

--
Greg DeKoenigsberg
Community Development Manager