Re: Metrics: What we *could* get

seth vidal wrote:
On Fri, 2006-10-06 at 13:06 -0400, Christopher Blizzard wrote:
There's another interesting aspect of having something on the machine that allows someone to be counted. It follows the software all the way from where we put it up, through the mirrors and down to the installation. It's much more reliable about reporting something in that sense, rather than collecting stats from mirrors and download sites.

It also reports the act - "I'm using it" instead of "I downloaded it."

And last, in some ways it's a lot less nefarious than tracking downloads. It's a result of a positive act on part of the user, as opposed to tracking on the backend without any kind of positive assent from the user.

as long as it is not brought in as an automatic dependency, I agree.

Might be as simple as the home page for the browser.  Or part of firstboot.

--Chris