Re: Kernel Module packages in Core and Extras

Josh Boyer wrote:
On Sun, 2006-08-20 at 11:27 -0400, Jesse Keating wrote:
On Sunday 20 August 2006 07:21, Rahul wrote:
- Disallow kmodule-packages in Extras and only integrate some very
important modules in the Core kernel package (like the Broadcom-WLAN
drivers we merged in FC% or ipw2100 and ipw2200 in FC4)
This really seems the better solution to me. It put the kernel
maintainers in control of the situation and they need to be in control
since they are the ones dealing with the bug reports and would be more
aware of which modules are going upstream etc.
I'm in favor of this too. Prevents the lag between updates in which a user could be vulnerable to a known kernel flaw, and it keeps our depsolvers and buildsystems somewhat sane.

But why wouldn't they just be part of the actual kernel package then?

They would be. That is in fact the suggestion.

Rahul