Re: Re: "community maintainers working on core" dilemma

Karsten Wade wrote:
Now, my first thoughts were to drag together existing pieces, apply
appropriate glue, and voila! ... something no better than what anyone
else has, but at least 100% free and invented here.  But your points
here inspire me.

That's what everyone tries to do. :( When you start describing something that allows people to create their own branches, tracking changes and connections people together they always say something like "that's just like git + bugzilla + irc!" Or "isn't that rpath?" And that completely misses the point. I could go to the butcher, the local vegetable salesperson and get my grains from the wholesaler, but you know what? I go to a damn supermarket because it's _so_ _freaking_ _convenient_.

Now, I don't want to prevent people from using their favorite butcher. He's more likely to find the meats you're looking for. But we could be doing so much better than that for everyone else. And our own temptation to create silos is one of the main reason why we end up with something that feels cobbled together.

I guess my point is we need to start with the experience as our first principal. And set that bar really really high. And then figure out if there are appropriate tools.

O!  The chance to do something truly groundbreaking in open source
project lifecycle workflow!  Something that, as you say, connects
developers, testers, and users directly.  Something more than SCM +
mailing lists + scratch space + caffeine.

Yep. It's not enough to add a mailing list or fix something in one tool for me anymore. I want to change the way we work in a meaningful way.

For this Fall, we are working on a FUDCon with a technical, hackfest
focus, perhaps with BarCamp-style presentations.  I would like to add
something to that event -- a design thinking session to cook up the next
generation FLOSS lifecycle tool.  Something total greenfield.  Dare I
even say, Fiddler's Green[1] quality?

- Karsten
[1] Like an afterlife utopia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiddler's_Green

I think we have a name, anyway. :) But I don't want to wait that long to get started. We've lived with what we have long enough.

--Chris